Friday, May 6, 2011

TeenPact

     Last week, Jonathan and I attended a government camp/class called TeenPact. Held at the Oregon State Capitol, we made the long trip back and forth each day. However, it was worth the extra miles.
     Early in the morning, we would wake up and put on our “capitol clothes.” Jonathan wore a suit (His very first! Well, other than the tiny one in the dress-up box! ) and I wore a skirt or dress. I must say that I loved being in a group that stood out – in a good way!
     After trying to stuff food in our faces at that early hour, we raced into the car and began the long journey. Halfway to our destination, we would meet up with a family whom we carpooled with.
     In Salem, we met at a public building right across the street from the capitol. Along with 50 other teenagers, we found a seat in the room and the class began.
     During the seven hours of class, we had a packed schedule. The day would start out with worship and a devotional led by a staff member. Following this, the first-timers to TeenPact would go on a field experience while the alumni (me) listened and participated in a lecture which covered our homework. Soon, it would be time for lunch. This was my favorite time of the day because we would meet in our committee and discuss and vote on pretend bills written by the students. 
      The afternoons would include TeenPact Parliament which was where we had our own mock legislating session. I always enjoyed this! In addition, during the week we held our own mock election for governor and senator. Those who won in the primaries persuaded their fellow classmates by campaigning with posters and bags and bags of candy. By the end of the week, the winners were elected and gave inspirational speeches during graduation. 
     Overall, my favorite part of the week was the environment. To begin, it was a Christian camp. How encouraging it was to be surrounded by followers of Christ who were all learning about government and leadership together. One thing that always stands out to me at TeenPact is how the guys treat the girls. It is so refreshing to see the guys open up the doors and offer their seats to the girls. I love being treated like this.
     I would really encourage you to consider going to a TeenPact class. I can’t wait to go back next year!

1 comment:

  1. Hi daughter of the Most High :-)

    I've been blogging since 2008 and decided to do another blog but in a devotional format. When I finally settled on a title, it was taken. I just had to see who else out there had a heart devoted to my Father. :-)
    I love that we thought of the same name. Since you were first, I decided to use the year of my Salvation at the end of mine.
    Hope you get a chance to visit.

    Love in Christ, Our Lord
    His Princess Bride

    ReplyDelete